The two age groups for the competition will be:
- intermediate – grades 9 & 10;
- senior – grades 11 and 12.
- Questions and activities will be differentiated to provide age‐appropriate challenges for all ‘mathletes’.
- Teams will be made up of four students from any of the age groups.
- If students from different age groups are paired in the sprint round, they will only be given questions suitable for the student from the older age group.
- A school may enter more than one team. If a school enters more than one team, only the score of the team that scored the greatest number of points for that school will be counted in the competition.
- Participation points will also be awarded, so encourage as many students to participate as possible.
In order to prepare well for the competition, participants are advised to use the following sites to practice different style questions:
- Logic Puzzles - includes sample logic questions and challenges that will be useful for the Math team round/competition
- Other resources for team round: Tangrams, Tangram Channel, Sudoku
- Centre for Education in Math and Computing (University of Waterloo) - repository for questions and solutions used in annual Math contests
- South African Maths Olympiad - official site of the South African Maths Foundation affiliated with the International Mathematical Olympiad
- Math Counts Foundation - has lots of great advice plus a 'Problem of the Week' section with some great practice questions.
- International Math Olympiad - has past Math problems dating back to 1959 - lots for you to download and practice with!
- Joy of Creative Math Problem Solving - has a bunch of links with thousands of Math problems and answers.
For more info, contact:
Facilitator: Janine Da Silva (firstname.lastname@example.org)